Mandarin Oriental has extended its employee Inner Strength – Outer Strength wellness initiative to guests across its 28 global spas. The concept is designed to help spa-goers to use this time of disruption to create positive changes and build strength both physically and mentally.
“The adversity in 2020 has led all of us to re-prioritise personal wellness,” says Jeremy McCarthy, group director of spa and wellness. “Developing our strength reserves during times of uncertainty is crucial when it comes to to avoiding illness, managing stress and enabling us to better support others.”
Through this initiative, hotel and spa guests can focus on developing their own inner strength by taking time for silence, contemplation and mindfulness, while building outer strength through boosting physical vitality with exercise, movement and healthy food.
Mandarin Oriental originally launched the programme in June 2020 as a four-week mental wellness programme to support staff returning to its reopened hotel and spa destinations. The new guest version sees properties tailoring the packages according to their own specialities and guests needs.
Select sites have tapped into the brand’s long-standing partnership with Aromatherapy Associates and is using its Inner Strength essential oil blend to anchor this new programming.
Geraldine Howard, the late co-founder of Aromatherapy Associates, originally created Inner Strength oil to bring her comfort when fighting cancer. The two companies previously collaborated to produce a signature treatment using the oil which McCarthy says is now a part of the new mental wellness packages.
Inner Strength – Outer Strength examples
• Mandarin Oriental, Macau, is featuring the Inner Strength spa treatment by Aromatherapy Associates, combined with a variety of fitness classes, including yoga and personal training
• Mandarin Oriental, Marrakech is running workshops on essential oils along with complimentary fitness assessments with its certified coach
• Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok is pairing advanced yoga nidra techniques such as pranayama and mantra chanting with intense fitness activities, including guided runs and boot camps
• Mandarin Oriental, Milan is presenting yoga and singing bowl sessions along with private aqua gym and stretching classes
• Mandarin Oriental, Canouan is offering yoga and guided meditation plus outdoor activities such as kayaking and hiking.
Exercises, reading recommendations and advice are also available to support guests unable to reach Mandarin Oriental destinations. This service uses virtual assessments to help people understand which of their inner and outer strength areas need improvement. Possible inner strength areas to focus on include mindfulness, character strength, gratitude, resilience and willpower. Outer strength options feature muscular strength, mobility, power, endurance and breathwork.